Technical Papers & Articles
- UK Fast Reactor, A Roadmap for Development, Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Institution Policy Statement, January 2014 A non-GEH publication that offers recommendations about fast reactor technology and describes how PRISM could disposition the UK’s plutonium stockpile.
- Reminiscences of Reactor Development at Argonne National Laboratory, Charles E. Till, W.B. Lewis Lecture, Canadian Nuclear Society, June 4, 2007Provides a historical overview to the size, scope and scale of the integral fast reactor (IFR) program that provides the technical and operational proof for PRISM design.
- PRISM: A Competitive Small Modular Sodium Cooled Reactor, Nuclear Technology July 12, 2012, Brian S. Triplett, Eric P. Loewen, and Brett J. DooiesThe most recent GEH technical publication on the PRISM reactor, providing technical readers the details they seek.
- Technical Rationale for Metal Fuel in Fast Reactors, Nuclear Engineering and Technology, Vol. 39 No. 3, June 2007, Yoon Il Chang, Argonne National LaboratoryMetal fuel, rather than the traditional oxide nuclear fuel, is the key differential to the future technical success of PRISM. This paper provides the technical rational, history, and details on why metal fuel in a sodium cooled reactor is far superior than 2nd generation oxide fuel.
- Innovation generating clean energy, Nuclear Future, Volume 8 Issue 5, Eric Loewen and David PowellAn overview paper by GEH on the advantages of PRISM for the disposition of UK plutonium.
- Smarter Use of Nuclear Waste, Scientific American, December 2005, William H. Hannum, Gerald E. Marsh, and George S. StanfordA cornerstone paper by the technical team from Argonne National Laboratory who worked on the technical basis of PRISM before the U.S. government program was abruptly shut down for political motives.
- UK Plutonium, The Way Forward, Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Institution Policy Statement, March 2013A non-GEH publication that provides the reader an overview of plutonium management in the UK and possible solutions, one of which is PRISM.
- PRISM: A Promising Near-Term Reactor Option, Power Magazine, April 2011, James HylkoA non-GEH publication on the technical capabilities of PRISM.
- Progress on approaches to the management of separated plutonium, UK Nuclear Decommissioning Authority (NDA), January 2014
- Management of the UK’s Plutonium Stocks: A consultation response on the proposed justification process for the resue of plutonium, UK Department of Energy & Climate Change, May 2013The UK Government response to the plutonium reuse consultation which concludes that “it would be prudent to keep the option of different reactor types and technologies open… Providing guidance which is therefore generic and adaptable to the decisions of the future would allow future applications to be brought forward.”
- Management of the UK’s Plutonium Stocks: A consultation on the long-term management of UK owned separated civil plutonium, UK Department of Energy & Climate Change, February 2011
- Management of the UK’s Plutonium Stocks: A consultation response on the long-term management of UK-owned separated civil plutonium, UK Department of Energy & Climate Change, December 2011
- Nuclear Industrial Strategy – The UK’s Nuclear Future, HM Government, Rt Hon Vince Cable MP, Rt Hon Edward Davey MP
- Small Modular Reactors, U.S. Department of Energy, Office of Nuclear Energy, February 2010
- PRISM Fact Sheet, July 2015, GE Hitachi Nuclear Energy
- Advanced Recycling Center – Solving the Used Nuclear Fuel Dilemma, 2009, Technology Update, GE Hitachi Nuclear Energy
- PRISM plutonium reuse for the United Kingdom, April 2013, GE Hitachi Nuclear Energy
- Nuclear Decommissioning Authority deems GE Hitachi’s PRISM Reactor a Credible Option for Managing Plutonium Stockpile, January 20, 2014
- GE Hitachi Lines Up Prestigious Academic Support in Quest to Dispose of UK Plutonium Stockpile, University of Manchester and GEH Sign MOU, May 29, 2012
- GE Hitachi Signs MOU Agreement with National Nuclear Laboratory to Work on Tackling UK Plutonium Stockpile, April 4, 2012
- GE Hitachi to Host UK Conference with Local Suppliers on PRISM Technology as Government Studies Plutonium Reuse Options, March 14, 2012
The following four independent books reference the technical possibilities of PRISM advanced technology.